Ashtanga Yoga Retreat
Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
25 August – 1 September 2024
Largua’s inspiring way of teaching will guide you in a very comprehensive manner through the foundations of Ashtanga Yoga, offering you the chance to ground and deepen your own practice.
The retreat will be dedicated to daily Mysore class, except the start of the retreat which will be a Led Primary Series practice, followed by workshops where the challenging aspects of the practice will be discussed in more detail.
In this retreat our aim is for all participants to benefit – from beginners to more experienced students – and that they can find the confidence to continue flourishing in their daily practice back home.
Sunday, 25th August | 2024
- Check in after 15.00
- 19.30 – Welcoming dinner with a few guidelines about the retreat
26th August – 31st August | 2024
- 07.00 – 08.30 – Mysore Practice
- 08.30 – 09.30 – Break for fresh snacks, tea, coffee and juice
- 09.30 – 11.00 – Workshop to deepen your Ashtanga practice
- 11.30 – Brunch will be served by the pool, depending on the weather, cooked with organic vegetables picked straight from our garden or bought from one of our local farmers
- Afternoons will be free for relaxing, swimming, walks in the woods or in the vineyards, massage, sightseeing
- Fruits, tea, coffee and nuts will be freely available throughout the day
- 19.00 – Dinner
Sunday, 1st September | 2024
- 07.00 – 8.30 – Led class
- Check out: we kindly ask students to vacate their room by 10am, although they can stay at the property longer if their flights are in the afternoon or early evening
- 11.30 – Goodbye brunch
How can we build a solid foundation in practice? In Ashtanga, it starts from the very beginning, as we connect to our internal energy of breath and concentration, and extending conscious awareness throughout the body. In this workshop, we will explore the physical and energetic alignment of the Ashtanga standing sequence. We will discover how each posture interrelates to the next with purpose and intention, while establishing roots throughout the legs and core. Learn how to more deeply inhabit each standing position. What happens here affects all other areas we take forward.
All postures in the sequences of Ashtanga yoga are important. However, in this workshop, we will take a closer look at the core postures in both Primary and Intermediate series integral to opening and strengthening the body mind setting the stage to more intelligently grow and evolve in the practice.
The Art of the Press
Ground, center, resist. Learn the core attributes in acquiring strength and activation for pressed based transitions and arm balances in the Ashtanga yoga practice. In this workshop we will concentrate on the definitive progressive steps in learning how to lift and hold the body weight.
Backbends: Liberate the Spine
The paradox of backbending is that we must be firm and soft at the same time, uniting the energy of strength and surrender. Learn the basic components of backbending with integrity to the natural flow of the body. In addition, learn to understand the concept of active release. When actively releasing, we experience use of grounding mechanisms to establish the downward flow of energy, while fully utilising the breath, to expand and immerse fully into the posture. In this workshop, learn the foundational techniques that allow the body to find its depth and strength, while at the same time, letting go. For all levels.
Ashtanga: The Path & The Journey
Through consistent practice our time on the mat can develop into a work of art, creating stillness in motion. Reaching a flow state comes from uniting all internal elements to then rest in awareness within our physical being. In this workshop, we will explore how to create depth in the practice creating art in motion, while developing conscious attention and strength throughout the body- mind. We will first start by cutting away excess energy draining movements as well as connecting to the downward and upward flow, known as prana and upana, to then sit in a space of simplicity and concentration. This will be an inspiring workshop, giving space to explore and express the beauty of yoga in every movement and every breath.
In this workshop become more intimately rooted to the internal network of the bandhas as well as our network of core muscles tuning into the central axis of the body. Properly understanding how to engage the bandhas not only bring lightness to the body but also stability and clarity to the mind. Learn to become more closely connected to this often elusive and mysterious part of the practice of Ashtanga yoga, appropriate for all levels.
Learn the dynamics of flight. In this class experience helpful techniques accessing the sometimes- daunting flow of the Ashtanga system, the jump-back and jump-through. Even though challenging, transitioning need not be elusive to the practice, and believe it or not, the primary series prepares one to do so. Time will be taken to break down the parts and give useful tools to build inner strength and allow vinyasas to naturally become fluid and graceful. Building upon the jump through we will also experiment with jumping into and exiting out of various postures for added variety and adaptability.
Inversions and Spatial Awareness
Inversions can be both restorative, exhilarating as well as challenging. In this workshop you will be progressively lead through techniques and good practices starting from the most basic inversions working up toward more demanding inverted poses. This will be a valuable workshop in understanding how to establish good technique from the start to help guide you though greater areas of challenge as one builds more strength and awareness upside down.
Toulouse and Bordeaux are the closest airports.
From Bordeaux airport there are two choices:
- Hire a car at the airport and drive to Ashtanga France/ Château de Gueyze (1h15 min
- Or from Bordeaux airport, get a taxi to the train station Bordeaux St Jean and hop on the
train to Agen Station (1h30 min journey). From there we can arrange pick-ups
From Toulouse airport, there are also two choices:
- Hire a car at the airport and drive to Ashtanga France/ Chateau de Gueyze (1h30 min
Or get a taxi to the train station Toulouse Matabiau and hop on the train to Agen Station (1h30 min journey). From there we can arrange pick-ups
If you are coming from Paris, there are direct trains from Paris Montparnasse station to Agen train station (3h11 min journey). From there we can arrange pickups.
*Train tickets can be easily be purchased in advance on www.trainline.com
At Ashtanga France we have two houses within the same grounds. You can either chose to stay at the Château or at the Cottage. Both have their own swimming pool, common areas to sit, relax and enjoy nature and both are available for everybody to use.
If you are staying in the Château
- €1.995 – Shared bedroom, with 2 Double sized beds, shared bathroom with 1 other room
- €2.285 – Private bedroom, King sized bed, shared bathroom with 1 other room
- €2.485 – Private bedroom, King sized bed, luxurious ensuite with shower and bathtub
- €2.685 – Private bedroom, Emperor sized bed, luxurious ensuite with shower and bathtub
If you are staying in the Cottage
- €1.485 – Shared bedroom, with 2 Single beds, shared bathroom with maximum 2 other rooms
- €1.885 – Private bedroom, Double sized bed, shared bathroom with maximum 2 other rooms
- €2.085 – Private bedroom, King sized bed, shared bathroom with maximum 2 other room
ALTERNATIVE HOUSE OPTION
If the Château and Cottage both get fully booked, we can resource alternative accommodation in the area.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Mysore Classes
- Delicious and organic meals twice a day
- Fruits, tea, coffee and nuts available all day
- Comfortable and beautiful accommodation
- Wifi (StarLink 200MBS connection speed)
- Time to explore the beautiful French countryside
- Yoga equipment (Manduka Yoga mats, blocks, belts and blankets)
- Group pick-up and return from/to Agen station
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Massages and other therapies (available on request)
- Train tickets
- Sightseeing (available on request)